DuraLock - Catheter Locking Solution
Introducing DuraLock-C Pre filled Syringes, packed in fully sterile sets. In addition to the already proven benefits of trisodium citrate catheter lock solution, pre filled syringes increase overall procedural efficiency and remove the risk from needle sticks and glass particle injections. Furthermore, while other prefilled cellophane wrapped syringes offer a sterile pathway only, we take ours a step further and fully sterilize the outside of the syringe as well as the fluid path.
Studies have demonstrated that Trisodium Citrate (TSC) is highly effective as a catheter locking solution.1,2,3,4 In addition to being an anticoagulant, TSC has demonstrated antibacterial activity across a broad spectrum of microbes.1,2 Another study, commenting on TSC’s anticoagulant character, found a dramatically reduced incidence of thrombolytic intervention in tunnelized hemodialysis catheters.1
* Most importantly and most recently, Weijmer, et al 4, in a multi-centered, prospective, randomized comparison with heparin and TSC, demonstrated clear superiority of TSC over heparin.
DURALOCK-C OVER HEPARIN
Central venous catheters are usually locked with heparin after treatment. Clinical practice and leading publications show that heparin promotes the growth of biofilm in the catheter and promotes the growth of bacteria.(2) Heparin also generates bleeding risks after catheter insertion and after catheter locking.
Based on our long experience, and on our leading contacts with preeminent physicians, we developed DuraLock-C™.
DuraLock-C™ is a concentrated trisodium citrate solution, which has been shown to greatly reduce the incidence of catheter related infections.1,4
DuraLock-C™ prevents catheter related clotting1,3, maintaining efficient blood flow rates. Clinical practice shows a reduction of at least 70% of the use of thrombolitic agents like Urokinase/TPA.
DuraLock-C™ prevents the formation of catheter lumen biofilm. Biofilm contributes to catheter related bacteremia.
Features & Benefits
Fully Sterile Tyvek® Pouches Reduces the risk of nosocomial infection, in comparison to glass vials and fluid path only syringe packaging.
- Improved Catheter Patency
(30% and 46.7% Concentration)
Fewer catheter withdrawals due to complications. 1, 2
- Reduced Infections
Lower rate of catheter-related bacteremia. 1, 2, 3
Pre-filled syringes and luer lock vials eliminate the need for cumbersome needle withdrawal.
Economical (4% Concentration)
Reduces the cost of interdialytic anticoagulation by as much as 85%. 4
Pouched syringes save nursing time treating patients coming off dialysis.
|Key Findings (*Weijmer, et al 4 )||TSC (30%)||Heparin (5,000 units)|
|Catheter withdrawn due to complications||28%||46%|
|Catheter related bacteremia per 1,000 patient days||1.1%||4.1%|
|Deaths due to catheter related bacteremia||0||5|
DuraLock-C Pre-Filled Syringes
|PFDLC504||DURALOCK-C PRE-FILLED SYRINGE 4.0%||30 / BOX|
|PFDLC530||DURALOCK-C PRE-FILLED SYRINGE 30.0%||30 / BOX|
|PFDLC546||DURALOCK-C PRE-FILLED SYRINGE 46.7%||30 / BOX|
- Ash SR, Mankus RA, Sutton JM, Criswell RE, Crull CC, Velasquez KA, Smeltzer BD, Ing TS: Concentrated sodium citrate (23%) for catheter lock. Hemodial Int 4: 22-31, 2000
- Weijmer MC, Debets-Ossenkopp YJ, van de Vondervoort FJ, ter Wee PM: Superior antimicrobial activity of trisodium citrate over heparin for catheter locking. Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:2189-2195, 2002
- Bayés B, Bonal J, Romero R: Sodium citrate for filling haemodialysis catheters. Nephrol Dial Transplant
14: 2532-2533, 1999
- Weijmer MC, et al: Randomized, clinical trial comparison of trisodium citrate 30% and heparin as catheter-locking solution in hemodialysis patients. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol., 16: 2769 – 2777, 2005